Jan 8, 2013

Day 2: Double Choc chip cookies

I was always disappointed with bikkies. They're never as good as the bought Monte Carlos or Tim Tams. But this recipe changed me. It's the first one where I've used melted chocolate in the dough, and by George Clooney it makes a difference. It's from the Chocolate book of the Donna Hay Essentials range.

I don't make them as big as they ask. You get huge cookies when you only make 16 - I've always gotten about 20 even when I used the amount per cookie I think I should. Today I doubled the recipe and made 70 so they'll go further. I don't need that much in a cookie this rich anyway. Husband has other ideas and would prefer seven enormous cookies - enough to last him a week. Yes, my love, when you expect *all* the cookies you will need big ones so you can share them with me :|


Double Chocolate Cookies
  • 110g unsalted buter, softened
  • 130g (3/4 cup) brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 150g (1 cup) lain flour, sifted
  • 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 125g dark chocate, melted
  • 280g dark chocolate, extra, roughly chopped (this is heaps, I just use what's left in a pack of melts - about 100g)

Preheat oven to 160C (320F).
Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes of until light and creamy.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat for a further 3-4 minutes.
Stir through the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and melted chocolate. Add the extra chopped chocolate and stir to combine.
Roll tablespoons of the mixture into rounds. Place on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper, allowing room for the cookies to spread (they're about 3" across), and flatten slightly.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slight cracks have formed.
Cool on wire racks. Makes at least 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment